Last year saw the first ever World Calligraphy Day, hosted by the Pen Museum and Manuscript Pen Company – in the heart of Birmingham’s Jewellery Quarter.
This year, on Wednesday 15th August 2018, World Calligraphy Day returns, bigger and better than ever, with a full day of celebration, events and workshops on the art of calligraphy and hand lettering.
What’s happening on the day?
In short, lots. With a jam-packed schedule of events including workshops and drop-in sessions, you can meet artists, learn new skills and get some in-depth insight into the art of hand lettering.
Plus, as the day will be held at the Pen Museum, you can take the opportunity to explore the history of the trade and even try your hand at creating your very own steel pen nib using traditional machinery.
Meet the Calligraphy Artists
- Modern Calligrapher Joyce Lee of Artsynibs
- Lettering artist phenomenon James L Lewis
- Arabic Calligraphy School, Ottoman Calligraphy
- Founder of Calligraphy Arts, Jane Lappage,
- Member of the Birmingham Scribes and expert in traditional western calligraphy scripts, Sheila Smith
These featured artists (and many more) will be at The Pen Museum from 11 am – 4 pm.
Improve your skills with drop-in sessions
Get expert insight and tips from Nick Caulkin aka “Nick the Nibs”. He’ll be hosting sessions from ‘The School’ at the museum all day.
- 12.30pm – 1.15pm – Modern Calligraphy for Beginners with Artsynibs
- 1.30pm – 2.15pm – Hand Lettering Work Shop with James Lewis
- 2.30pm – 3.15pm – Arabic Calligraphy Workshop with Ottoman Calligraphy
How to join in?
If you want to get involved with World Calligraphy Day, buy your tickets and book your workshops online, here.
Can’t make it to Birmingham? Competitions and activities, plus live updates can be found all day over on Manuscript Pen Company’s social media accounts (@ManuscriptPenCo).
And, if you use calligraphy or hand-lettering in your greeting cards, stationery or giftware products share them online during the day, using the event hashtags…
While you’re here, why not check out some more customer creations? Just click here for an abundance of inspiration!